Active Membership | Apply Online
Individuals may apply for Active membership in the WTSA, based on the following guidelines:
Active Member $375.00 annually, plus $50.00 initiation fee.
- Be a Diplomat of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery of the United States, a Fellow in Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery in the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or possess such educational credentials as judged equivalent by the Council.
- Reside within or have completed a cardiothoracic residency training program within the geographic limits of the Association, which are the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming, and the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.
- Have been engaged in the practice of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery either outside of or within the geographic limits of the Association for at least three years following completion of postgraduate training. One year of this three-years-in-practice requirement may be fulfilled by completion of either a thoracic surgical residency in an institution within the geographic limits of the Association or a one-year clinical fellowship in an institution within the geographic limits of the Association.
- Have demonstrated interest in advancing the practice of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery through continuing professional contributions and scientific publications.
- Have obtained the sponsorship of three Active or Senior members of the Association per the application.
- For Active Membership: (1) have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in his or her respective state or province, and (2) have a current appointment on the surgical staff of a hospital with no reportable action pending which could adversely affect such applicant's staff privileges at any hospital.
- For Active Membership, possess ethical and moral fitness, as well as professional proficiency, as determined, in part, on the basis of reports from members consulted as references, reports from other references, and other information.
Candidate Membership | Apply Online
Individuals may apply for Candidate membership in the WTSA, based on the following guidelines:
Candidate Member $100.00 annually.
- Be matched or enrolled in either a cardiothoracic surgery education program accredited by the Residency Review Committee for Thoracic Surgery under the authority of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or a program approved for cardiothoracic surgery education by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada - or their equivalency - from within the Associationís geographic limits, which are the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming, and the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. Individuals who have completed their education in one of the above programs but do not yet meet all of the criteria for Active membership per Article IV, Section 3, of the Constitution also are eligible to apply for Candidate membership. Individuals who trained outside the Associationís geographic limits who are now residing within the Associationís boundaries but do not yet have three years in practice may also apply for Candidate membership.
- Candidate members shall have no rights to vote or hold office.
- Candidate membership shall end when the Candidate becomes eligible for Active membership, at which time s/he is invited to apply for Active membership.
- Candidate members who are currently matched or enrolled in a cardiothoracic residency training program shall pay the Resident rate to attend the Annual Meeting; Candidate members who have completed a cardiothoracic residency training program shall pay the regular Member rate.
If you have any questions regarding the online application process, please contact the WTSA Administrative Office at:
Western Thoracic Surgical Association
500 Cummings Center, Suite 4400
Beverly, MA 01915-6183
Phone: (978) 927-8330
Fax: (978) 524-0461